Sunday, June 6, 2021

There’s a four-letter word in town.



1st Mar 2018


Dear Prime Minister


Even as you spend time sharing a tip or two with school children, perhaps you’d be interested in knowing what they’re actually learning.


Yesterday, my son, a few months over 5, whispered as I went to pick him up from his daycare: ‘Dadda, can I ask you something?’


A routine question, so completely ordinary that I would have replied ‘yes’ without even looking at him. But something about his tone made me glance at him. His eyes were furtive, sneaky but not in the good way of a child who has flicked an extra chocolate. And as when I nodded, he looked around the parking lot, shook his head firmly and said, ‘Inside the car.’


As I strapped him into his baby seat, this boy who is still not grown enough to hold a pencil with any authority, said: ‘I heard you can’t say ‘Beef’ in India. And then he added: ‘I heard that if you say ‘beef’ in India, you can get beaten.’


A Malayalee-Christian girl, his playmate at the daycare had informed him with chilling conviction. A little girl, just a few years older, yet afraid enough to pass her fear on.


Forget the unremarkable fact that we’re vegetarian Hindus (ok, egg-etarian). Take a minute to think about the extraordinary horror that Indian parents in some houses are actually having to coach their children into keeping quiet about their food choices. 


A Prime Minister’s job is no doubt very hard. But sometimes, to be a father is tougher.


I kept the shock out of my face, the outrage out of my voice, and dare say, even managed a smile as I replied: ‘Beef’s not available here, but you can always say it.’


His eyes took something from mine, and his smile returned. And we both said loudly ‘Beef! Beef!’ to each other.


Which is what I’ll also say to you, dear Sir. Beef Beef Beef! See, it’s not so hard.


What’s unpalatable is what’s happening all around us. And for the whataboutery criers, I’m sorry but none of these children were around earlier.


Peace, love, empathy

Ram Cobain

(Image courtesy 123rf.com)

No comments: