Thursday, June 3, 2021

The first full marathon

23rd Jan 2021.

Ran my first full marathon today, in 4.26. it means a lot to me as it's been such a mentally unachievable distance for so long. I'd wanted to run this last year, but injured myself quite badly by running 21k with shin splints. This meant I couldn't attempt the full at TMM 2020 - in fact, I couldn't run at all, for six months or thereabouts. So I'm doubly proud of knocking this off my bucket list. I'm also proud that my splits are so even - ran the first half marathon in 2.13 and the second in exactly the same. I also finished strong without walking at all (nothing wrong with walking, I was in fact prepared to quit at any point as I was running this with a freak abdomen strain). And while a runner runs their race individually, there are always more than two feet that make it happen. To my brothers, Anoop and Rohant, who offered and ran the last 10 odd kms with me - they upped both my spirits and my pace, offering water, egging me on and more importantly - they were there. To my other runner brother and guruji, Amit Ojha, who was always present with his advice and guidance - a deep thank you (it's another thing that us mortals can't implement most of it. To my physio, Rajani, who gave me the treatment and the green light to attempt this, and whose wizardry put my back on my feet last year. To Gayatri, without whose belief and support, the dream of a 42k would have stayed just that. You've held fort beyond just the many Saturdays where I'd disappear; I honestly owe it all to you. And finally, to fellow runners everywhere, you make this insane and illogical pursuit of masochism, more bearable and less lonely

🙏 And now, I've run out of words - and as always, it's time for beer. #shrirampropertiesbengalurumarathon #grateful












No comments: